September 13th, 2016 marked the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Solano Canyon community. It was on that date in 1866 that Francisco Solano purchased 17 acres of land in the Stone Quarry Hills that became the community of Solano and which is known today as Solano Canyon, an historic Los Angeles community that is now 150 years old.
The 17 acres that Francisco Solano purchased is the narrow block outlined in red in the center of the map. Solano originally asked to purchase the entire 35-acre block, but the City agreed to sell him only the 17-acre portion in the center.
There was a stream that ran the length of the property. The stream emanated from a spring that was located higher up in Solano Canyon. The street at the bottom of the map is Buena Vista Street, which became North Broadway in 1909. This property is now all of that portion of Solano Canyon Southeast of the Arroyo Seco Parkway (formerly CA-110).
A Sesquicentennial Commemoration
To celebrate the sesquicentennial of the founding of the Solano community, the author had a commemorative coin struck, both in bronze and pure silver. The coin measures 39 mm in diameter (1.54"), and the silver coin contains 1 troy ounce of pure, .999 silver.
The coin was struck both to celebrate the sesquicentennial of the founding of the Solano Canyon community and to honor the author's great-great-grandparents, Francisco Solano and his wife, Rosa Casanova.
About the Author
Lawrence Bouett is a retired research scientist and registered professional engineer who now conducts historical and genealogical research full-time. A ninth-generation Californian, his primary historical research interests are Los Angeles in general and the Stone Quarry Hills in particular. His ancestors arrived in California with Portolá in 1769 and came to Los Angeles from Mission San Gabriel with the pobladores on September 4, 1781.
Lawrence Bouett may be contacted directly here.